Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Do I have faith? Am I Able to Serve a Mission?


Testimony of Sister Nozomi Tsukino, written just before her mission.

Recently, I learned a poem from the missionaries.  The poem talks about how instead of relying on the testimony that we had, it is more important to rely on the testimony that we have today, no matter how small that testimony may be.  Instead of listening to an inspirational talk that brings tears to our eyes, it is better to speak and let the spirit touch and warm our hearts.  Instead of planning a special day of special experiences, it is more important to live and use our faith in our everyday lives.

When I heard that, I thought about it a great deal.  Do I have a testimony now?  Or do I just rely on the testimony that I used to have and on the testimony of others?

Before going to bed, I prayed to Heavenly Father.  I asked Him, “Do I have faith and a testimony?  Are you sure that I am able to serve a mission?  Please answer my prayer in a way that is clear and easy for me to understand.”  As soon as I finished praying, in my mind, I could feel the words “Alma” and “56”.  In front of me was my Book of Mormon.  I opened it up and read Alma 56.  Alma 56 talks about the faith and determination of Helaman’s 2000 stripling warriors.  I felt that this was the answer to my prayer.  Like the 2000 young soldiers of Helaman, I too wanted to be brave, and I was inspired and encouraged that I could rise to the challenge. 

I am thankful that Heavenly Father answers our prayers.  I am thankful that He provides me opportunities to increase my testimony.  Missionaries serve as instruments in the Lord’s hands, and as a result, are able to bless the lives of themselves and those around them.  I know that the Book of Mormon testifies of Jesus Christ.  I testify that I know that the Lord knows me personally, and through the Holy Ghost, shows me what I should do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment